Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Where is "Me"?

Here is a question to consider. At what point in our development does the thought, "this is me"? first arise? We are told that this is a crucial point in a child's development; the point at which the child starts to differentiate him/herself from everyone else. Our thoughts become consciousness: we become "conscious" of the world around us and of the "me" in the world. Where does that consciousness come from? We can see, hear, touch, taste, smell and that explains a lot about how we take in the world around us. But, where do our thoughts, judgments, feelings, reactions come from? The mind? Where exactly is that? I'm not talking about your brain, I'm talking about the mind. Where is the mind? The mind is where consciousness arises. But, where is it? The mind is where notions of "I, me, mine, you, your, it" come from and the mind is where we spend so much of our time. The questions, where is the mind and where does "me" come from, perhaps don't have clear answers, but the questions alone are worth pondering. In our practice we talk a lot about the mind, the conventional and the original mind, so we should keep these questions in front of us. They might help us in our practice. Don't seek answers, just be with the questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment