Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

What If

Where does the world we experience begin? Where does what we call "I" or "me" begin? It begins with our senses. Through our five physical senses we take in sight. sound. smell, taste, touch. Through our sixth sense, our mind, we form perceptions and make judgments about what the senses take in and we begin a series of thoughts about likes and dislikes all of which center around "I" like or dislike. Then "I" moves on to "I" want this for "me". The world is seen as "other" or "you" or "it". What if the particular sense faculty you are working on this summer no longer was available to you? Then what? What if all the sense faculties were gone; then what? What if they were all gone---what remains? Where do then find the "I", "me", "you", "it", "mine", "yours"? How can you make those distinctions if the senses are all gone? We take our sensory world for granted. We make all these judgments and evaluations without really thinking---they just happen don't they. How different would the world be without our senses and how different would it be without our judgments.

No comments:

Post a Comment