Search This Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Flute

A student passes his teacher's house where the teacher is working in the garden. Student asks teacher, "Do you hear the flute? Isn't the song beautiful?" "Hrumph," responds the teacher. She gets up and starts gathering her tools. The student says, "I could listen to that flute all day long." The teacher takes a long look at the student and says, "would you rather listen to the song or know the flute player?" The student forgets the flute for an moment to consider the teachers question. "Why it's the song, teacher. It is so beautiful." The teacher walks towards her cottage leaving the student at the gate. "I'll see you tomorrow for my lesson," the student calls out to the teacher. "Not tomorrow. Come back when you have the answer to my question." "But, I told you, it's the song." Without looking back the teacher says, "so you did. Still, come back when you know the flute player." "I don't know where the flute player lives." "Too bad, then," says the teacher as she is about to close the cottage door, "I guess I won't be seeing you for awhile." The teacher closes the door.

Here's a link to an article about how meditation can help with pain:

http://healthland.time.com/2010/12/09/mind-over-matter-can-zen-meditation-help-you-forget-about-pain

No comments:

Post a Comment