Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Anger is an earthquake

I delivered a Dharma talk yesterday and wanted to share just a part of it here.
Our anger is like an earthquake. It begins to build just like the tectonic plates of the earth that push and push until they finally erupt.  Anger is just like that. Whatever it is inside of us that pushes against itself finds a release all too often in anger. And, when it does, just like an earthquake, it leaves behind destruction and devastation that takes a long time to rebuild.  The rebuilding is also often hampered by the shame, remorse, and regret we feel that rumble around in us like aftershocks causing more harm and devastation.  Here's an exercise I have been using with my own anger.  When I feel the pressure starting to build instead of focusing on keeping the anger at bay, I try to substitute compassion, love, and kindness in its place.  I do this by just repeating those three words to myself; "compassion . . . kindness . . . love . . .". I just repeat the words (nothing more than this) and even the smallest annoyance starts to fade and a new way of seeing the situation comes into view.  It may not work for you, but try it and see what happens.  What have you got to lose?  Your anger?  Maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment